Monday, July 09, 2007

Egyptian Hospitality

Egyptians and food, ahh well what can I say? It's really a great wonder that Egyptians are not an obese nation. You might find a small handful of relatively fat men and women, but I have yet to see an actual obese person. Egyptians love food.

When you go over to someone's house for dinner (which by the way is around 4pm here), you should basically make sure you've starved yourself for the previous two days, or else you'll likely die of being overstuffed. We were at my mom's friend's place, and she kept putting food on our plate, despite our pained cries that we were full. Egyptians get offended when you don't eat a lot. I'm sorry, they get offended even if you do eat a lot, but aren't writhing on the floor in pain. I know we're supposed to honour our guests, but this is taking it to a whole new level...

Needless to say, I got sick after the visit, and am still getting over it.

In other news, so far I've seen a fist fight in the street, and a fire in our apartment (Alhamdulillah none of us were hurt). Also, I saw this shirt that said "your boyfriend thinks I'm hot." I did a double take at this point, like uhhh what? Are you serious? But when I came closer to the shirt, lo and behold, it actually said "your boyerend thinks I'm hot."

Nice.

5 comments:

Umar said...

ha! for a second, I was going to say atleast they got the spelling right.

MT said...

hahaha... for a moment i thought boyerend was a proper word. So I googled it and the only link that came up was your post.

Anonymous said...

yeah, asmaa you have a history of misreading people's t-shirts.
also, i'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

haha! I see that your enjoying your visit Asmaa!

Anonymous said...

You're funny. lol But you sound like you're having a blast. And I need to get one of those shirts, but who the heck is Boyerand? ?:-|