Thursday, September 08, 2005

Nerd? Geek? Help!

Okay, something shocking has happened, my nerd ground has been shaken. This is all due to my reading an article in The Toronto Star last night. According to The Toronto Star, a geek follows "a single-minded pursuit of a particular passion to the exclusion of all other social norms." Now, with this in mind, I could certainly be a geek, since following social norms is not my forte. And I do pursue things in a single-minded way...I'm just thinking about all my bouncy ball posts. Oh my God, I am a geek. Because of this newly discovered evidence, I was having a hard time deciding whether to define myself as a nerd or a geek, so I resorted to checking dictionary.com for my answer... Nerd n. Slang: A foolish, inept, or unattractive person. Geek n. Slang: A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy. I just asked my little sister which I should choose. She then promptly replied "nerd, because you're unattractive." Nerd it is. Just for kicks: the word nerd, undefined but illustrated, first appeared in 1950 in Dr. Seuss's If I Ran the Zoo: "And then, just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo And Bring Back an It-Kutch a Preep and a Proo A Nerkle a Nerd and a Seersucker, too!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol i like the end poem :D and i wonder which one i am.. nerd or geek :o

Anonymous said...

Way to go, nerd.

There's totally sugarcane at our, not being eaten, and I blame you.

Anonymous said...

*our house.

Stylus Virus said...

you're not a geek, because you don't pursue something to the exclusion of all social norms (bouncy balls don't count. unless someone threw them really far and you had to "pursue" them for the rest of your life. haha...)


...


yeah, I'm a nerd...

Anonymous said...

is your fridge working? :p

Anonymous said...

hahaha i got to say your sis is the best....

as for me i dont know what i would be, too unattractive to be normal, and too stupid to be a nerd/geek....damn im a social outcast to the SOCIAL OUTCASTS!!!!!!!