Saturday, August 18, 2007

Buckles and Beads

So I'm traveling back to Toronto in a couple of days. I'm looking forward to coming home. Sometimes I get so frustrated here because I don't know my way around and have to rely on other people (who are often unreliable) to take me places. That's what I most about home: my independence.

But then, being still unemployed when I get back is going to suck. Being unemployed in Egypt isn't that hard since you'd fit in with the majority of people anyways. I think I'll miss it here.

Sometimes I think it'd be okay for me to live here for longer, to get a better taste of what every-day life entails. For some reason I've been thinking about what the Sound of Music would've been like if it were made in Egypt...

Bright neon clothing and shiny gold buckles.
Bearded old men with thobes and bloody knuckles.
That scraggly grey cat and the tune that it sings.
These are a few of my favourite things.

Bad English grammer on storefronts and t-shirts.
Glittery hijabs and tight short beaded skirts.
Half pound sandwiches fit for fat kings.
These are a few of my favourite things.

When the cars smash
when the streets stink
when I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favourite things,
and then I don't feel so bad...

So yeah, Egypt has definitely had some unforseen effects on my brain cells. I need to re-grow them and come back to Canada.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"fit for fat kings"
teehee

Anonymous said...

you are too cool for school.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS SHEER GENIUS!!!

I tried singing it in tune and it works. Hilarious.

You KNOW--

Maybe you should extend it into more stanzas and whatnot. I can figure out a way to film it set in Egypt in the film style of Michel Gondry. I think it could be hilariously goofy and a delight for the senses (given all the blandness and asceptic urban environment we inhabit).

Seriously, craft it into something, Asmaa.

Barak Allah fik.

Anonymous said...

Assalamu alaikum Asmaa!

After singing that, I was reminded of a few of my favourite things... (ie) YOU!!!

Can't wait to see ya and hear all the stories! Tell Akhi Muhammad the girls from Canada send their Salams and are wondering if he learned any new bollywood songs:P!

Peace, fr:)

Anonymous said...

Wow that was great :) love it.
-mar

longblackveil said...

Haahahaaa. Hilarious, masha'Allah.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, craft it into something, Asmaa.

i read that as "crack fit it."

Anonymous said...

ahaha -- you're a poet, asmaa. a poet =D