Sunday, October 22, 2006

Bittersweet Eid

So it has come to this: the last day of Ramadan. The last few hours, few moments, few minutes. It's kind of fascinating how Ramadan changes people. How people who are otherwise not very religious start to abstain from bad things and increase their worship and God-consciousness. My sister in Egypt noticed the same transformation, even though it is a Muslim country:
As I was walking home I noticed that people were reading Quran everywhere. In the taxis, waiting for a bus, in the mosque, and men that just happened to be sitting/standing around. Their lips and tongues were busy with the remembrance of Allah. It was a wonderful sight.
That's why Eid has always been somewhat of a bittersweet celebration for me. I'm sad because this opportunity is over and I don't know if I'll live to see the next one. It's always a tiny bit sad because I know people will stop caring about Islam after Ramadan and start up all their bad deeds again. The masajid become empty once more, the smooth pages of the Qur'an aren't felt or read out loud or muttered under people's breath on the subway anymore. Autumn is just autumn now, not Ramadan-Autumn, this is when the leaves really start to fall. But then when I'm down I remember that Allah doesn't end. His Light never goes out the way that Ramadan's blessings end. He is still The Most Merciful, The Forgiving. He is all-year-round. And then I feel Eid.

10 comments:

'liya said...

Eid Mubarak :) Bittersweet is the perfect word to describe the occasion.

It's definitely a change from the busy mosques to the emptiness after Eid. It's sad. I guess that's what people call 'Ramadan muslims'... but then who are we to judge? And then could it also be that you just don't notice people "caring about Islam" on our regular days? Only Allah knows the true intentions of people. That person who you see waiting for the bus might be cursing the TTC ... or might be reciting ayat-ul-kursi in their head. You never know :)

Good post.

Anonymous said...

Forgive me for my ignorance for I know not whether this comes from a hadith, an imam or a sheikh, a random person, a conversation I eavesdropped on, or something I just made up ... actually, no I didn't make this up, but all the rest apply: Eid is a mercy from Allah (swt) for his devout servants - a celebration for their cleansed and purified souls and the acceptance of their deeds during Ramadan; and were it not for Eid, no doubt the immense sadness at the passing away of this blessed month would overshadow any hope they may have, no matter how miniscule, of the acceptance of their deeds and forgiveness from their Lord

Eid Mubarak Asmaa :)

Anonymous said...

Eid Mubarak Asmaa! Hug, hug, hug. ;)

Anonymous said...

Asmaa, will we ever see each other again?

Mombasa said...

Eid Mubarak Asmaa and everyone! May our Ibadaa have been accepted, and may we continue to work to please Allah SWT. Ameen.

Anonymous said...

Eid Mubarak sister! May Allah bless you and your family insha-Allah, and allow all of us to keep ourselves steadfast beyond this month, and give us life to meet the next Ramadan insha-Allah.

Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

Eid Mubarak Asmaa!
May Allah Swt surround you with goodness and happiness during this "bittersweet" occasion :)

Asmaa said...

Jazakum Allahu Khairan for your Eid wishes and duas. Eid Mubarak everyone.

Mar, I miss you. Sara, soon inshaAllah. Let's do next monday, I'm serious.

Anonymous said...

Asalaamu 'alaikum
I am in awe as to how you managed to so perfectly say everything that I feel at the end of every Ramadaan. I could not have said it better myself.
This year it was better, but last year i BAWLED at eid salaah and then felt bad afterwards because it's eid afterall. I think the sister next to me thought I was going through a really tough time in my life or something.

Let's continue our noble acts done in Ramadaan. That's the only way we know we have benefitted from it truly.

Borges said...

Wonderful and very true reflection Sister. I think we're all sad when Eid, just a little bit. Ramadan is such a gift to us.