Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ekscuse me?

I've just discovered something quite mind-boggling and it has caused me to fully question the legitimacy of the English language.

We have 26 letters in our alphabet, but the fact of the matter is that we don't need the letter "X" at all. I challenge you to find a single word in our language that REQUIRES an X.

To elucidate my point, let me show you some words with Xs so you'll understand:

1. Example can easily be "egsample"
2. Extra can be spelled "ekstra"
3. Xylophone is clearly "zylaphone"

Think about it. It's a completely useless letter, and that makes me kind of angry. Granted, it does make a lot of things look cool. For egsample, "Malcolm X" can't be "Malcolm Eks." That's stupid.

So sure, it serves some twisted purpose of making things look kind of mysterious and cool. But that still doesn't change the fact that it is NOT NEEDED.

Dumb English. Good day.

14 comments:

hajera said...

of course it's needed you doofus! how else would you spell X-ray?!!!! like, d'uuuhhhhhh!!!!

;)

sara said...

Um, how could you be about to replace The X-Files, or Mr. X for that matter?

Anonymous said...

If you're going to replace X with ecks or egs, then you might as well replace C with see and Q with cue and Y with whiee and Z with tsed and the list goes on...

Unknown said...

Hajera, Eks-Ray.

Sara, Eks-Files, Mr. Eks.

Anon, see the thing is, I've thought about this for quite some time. And all the other letters in the alphabet have at least one or two fully unique pronunciations or purposes. In order to see the flaw in your argument, you'd have to use those letters in actual words, which you haven't done.

And for the record, "Z" cannot be tsed - that doesn't even sound like it.

Anonymous said...

asmaa u amaze me

Anonymous said...

When you get married and your husband divorce you a few days after.. you will need it to say "my X-husband was such a brick". He also will need it to say My X-wife talks while she is sleepin"

The letter "X" is so important to X anything you don't like

can you beat that.oh

Herman the German.

Unknown said...

Anon, I amaze you because the letter X doesn't amaze me? Intense :D

Herman the German, actually, I can still say "My EKS-Husband was a douche bag." Your argument may have seemed intelligent to you, but it offered no real insight into the letter X. Similarly, your assumption that I would get divorced because I talk while I sleep is offensive. I shake my fist at you.

superman said...

i hope you lead a very happy and blissful marriage life! Ameen!

Asmaa said...

Superman, need to snag me one first. Thanks :) ameen.

Anonymous said...

Asmaa; whatever makes you happy.

Superman; I hope so too. 8-|

Herman the German.

Sammy said...

You are so cute! The fact that this revolutionary discovery makes you angry, that!

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHyzxVlOI98

Herman the German

Asmaa said...

Herman the German, thanks =)

Sammy, well it makes me angry because I've lived my whole life using this useless letter. I've been so deceived! >:(

Nauman said...

If you shorten the English language down a few letters and spell everything phonetically, and then turn the letters into curvy-beautiful script, you'd have Arabic. ;)