Friday, May 12, 2006

Anger Management 101

Woke up today. Was angry for reasons that will not be disclosed. And persons who caused my anger will not be revealed. And under-the-table attempts to change scheduled occurances without my approval will not be specified. Wow, it's funny how someone can perpetually make you angry and not even be aware that they're doing so. But, I keep trying to remind myself of the hadith: a strong person is not the person who throws his adversaries to the ground. A strong person is the one who contains himself when he is angry. (Bukhari) It is reported that the Messenger of Allah (sallalahu alayhi wa sallam) said that while Sulaiman was with the Prophet (sallalahu alayhi wa sallam), two persons were blaming each other. The face of one became red and his jugular veins swelled. the Prophet (sallalahu alayhi wa sallam) said: "I know a statement if he or she say's it then the person with anger will cool down. The person with anger should say: 'I seek refuge in Allah from satan the outcast.'" (authu billahi min alshaytan alrajeem.) And it works :)

6 comments:

American Muslim 1983 said...

The Prophet Muhammad (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, ‘Anger is from Shaitaan and Shaitaan has been created from fire. Since water extinguishes fire, therefore, when one of you is overtaken by anger let him make Wudhu’ (Abu Dawood)

Stylus Virus said...

Assalamu aleikum,

Sit down. Still angry? Lie down. Still angry? Do Ghusl (take a shower). Still angry? Go to sleep.

And seeking refuge from Shaitan = works, I agree! Try Suratul Nas too. Or Ayatul Kursi.

Sometimes I punch pillows : )

Anonymous said...

LOL! Are u hot-headed?

When I first met you, you appeared to be 'unapproachable' (maybe you have to smile a lot and wear colors other than black >:-) & u becoming de VP came up in a discussion and someone told me "I'm sacred of her, she's too sarcastic" & de real scary part was a brother told me this!

Asmaa said...

Mars, although that seems like a thing I could do efficiently, I'm afraid it might slightly damage my working relationship with this individual. Just slightly.

American, definitely! Thank you for sharing that :)

A date with Khan, I don't need to take advice from "a sufi teacher" when I have THE BEST teacher to learn from (Prophet Muhammad, sallallahu alayhi wa sallam).

Olde, sleep works like a charm :) Thanks for the advice.

M&M, hot-headed? That's such a Charlie Brown word to use. I don't actually see the relevance of your comment to my post but I have a feeling that you were waiting around for an opportunity to say that!

I am far from unapproachable, okay. I smile, I engage people, and yes, I even wear navy blue sometimes. Also, I don't really care if brothers find me unapproachable. In fact, that's a good thing. And you know, I already know which brothers are scared of me, and that's fine.

Reviviscence said...

salaam 2 all

Angerrr mgt ... I think I need it the most ... JazakAllah to everyone who shared the bit they knew abt overcoming or controlling anger ... :)

wasalaam

Anonymous said...

Anger Mnagement? No my friends, you all need RIZQ MANAGEMENT! :)

"Rizq Managment: Fiqh of Worship IV - Zakah, Siyam, Hajj"

Toronto, ON, June 2-4, 9-11
(taught by: Shaykh Muhammad Alshareef )