Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Cookies

Basically, after the first few days of my break from school, I felt useless. So, I decided to volunteer at my old elementary school. This is my second week (it's an Islamic school, so their Christmas break doesn't really exist - they have a "Eid break" instead). I mostly work with grade 2. It's pretty fun being about in a school when you don't have to follow the rules and you get to discipline children. It is pretty frightening though to be working with some of my old teachers who have yet to retire. I'm still scared of some of them. Hehe, this picture reminds me of when I was in grade two: I made cookies with the kids today. Very fun, but everything in the class got smeared with cookie dough. Try to picture this: Kid: "Sister, can I eat some of the dough?" Me: "No." Kid: "Please, sister?" Me: "I said No!" Kid: "Please, Sister!" Me: "No, for the love of God! No!" But hey, the cookies tasted pretty good :) Kids eating the cookies: I realize that I don't hate teaching as much as I thought I did. I'm also working with a student who doesn't read that well and she's making progress, which makes me pretty happy, Alhamdulillah. The end.

6 comments:

Umar said...

i didn't really have anything to say... but i just wanted to be the first to leave a comment.


there.

Anonymous said...

Ah, second grade. Those were some strange times Asmaa.

The most vivid memory I have was this one time I forgot my lunch and Br. Samir let me have his. It was so weird.

Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :)

Aww that's so sweet, masha'Allah. I'm planning on volunteering at a nearby Islamic school too insha'Allah. The kids are just adorable!

And ehem, why wasn't I told about today?! My du'as are with you ;)

Pink said...

i wanna be a teacher!!!
if u ever move to UK u should join what will be my no.1 islamic school inshaAllah!

those cookies look yum. i have to get some now but all the shops are closed. shucks.

Stylus Virus said...

Assalamu aleikum,
Yo Asmaa, hook me up so we can volunteer together at the same school.

I'm serious.

p.s: longtimenoanything

Asmaa said...

Umar, honoured, I'm sure.

Sara, Br. Samir gave you his lunch? That IS weird. You know what's cool, though? When you look at the kids and you can see which ones are like yourself when you were their age. And you can predict which ones are going to be the nerds and which are going to be the bullies and snobs. Oh well.

Bro, yes. Yes I do :)

Squeeky, you think that they're adorable, but sometimes they can be royal pains in the rear.

Yes, if I ever decide to move to the UK, I'll give you a ring.

Olde, they would love you if you volunteered. And when I say love, I mean love.