Friday, December 16, 2005

Tale as old as time...

So, today we fished out Disney's Beauty and the Beast from our dusty video collection and decided to watch it. This is Beauty and the Beast, for all of you uncultured fools out there: I couldn't totally enjoy the movie though since I'd have to stop and point out all the ridiculous things. Like, why is Belle wearing the same dress to her wedding that she wore when she had her first date with Beast? And since he only goes by the name "Beast", what does Belle call him after he becomes human? These are pressing questions that need to be answered. There were also some outbursts from my sister in regards to the cute and playful dog/cushion: "Okay, it's a freakin cushion." Oh yeah, when the mob is going to the castle to kill the beast, they're singing this: We don't like What we don't understand In fact it scares us And this monster is mysterious at least Bring your guns Bring your knives Save your children and your wives We'll save our village and our lives We'll kill the Beast! Uh, right. I still enjoyed it though, it's a classic.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously. There are some Disney movies that are outright weird, i.e. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs = so scary. The Little Mermaid = completely RETARDED.

Umar said...

This looks like an interesting read.
(I haven't read the whole thing, just parts of it... but I've had this discussion with other people before)

Umar said...

read this :P

(from the link in my last post)
"The group included the soundtrack in its attack, as did Arab-American groups in North America, because of the alleged racism of the lyrics of the opening song of the film, in which an Arab character sings: "Oh, I come from a land, From a faraway place, Where the caravan camels roam. Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face. It's barbaric, but, hey, its home."

Asmaa said...

Yeah man, another messed up one, is Sleeping Beauty. Like, she's just sleeping. That's her role.

Umar, Aladdin is a...whole new world! Sorry, I couldn't help that. It's a whole other story - that one is filled with ridiculousness.

OH yeah, another thing from Beauty and the Beast:

Gaston: LeFou, I'm afraid I've been thinking
Lefou: A dangerous pastime!
Gaston: I know

Borges said...

MAybe the first three lines are a disney attempt at discouraging hatred and predjudice. Hahah good movie.

Allah Hafiz

(ahha someday we'll catch each other online)

Ameera said...

Nooooo!

You're all making fun of my favorite Disney movies!

Weird as it may sound, I'm crazily crazy about Disney cartoon movies. Maybe that's because I watched them a lot when I was a kid. Or perhaps it's because I just love the boring-summer-afternoon-nothing-to-do-might-as-well-watch-a-fairy-tale feel about them!

I know most things sound just stupid or impossible in some of the movies, but you've got to remove yourself from the conscious, from reality, from thought and just settle down to watch a warm, fuzzy cartoon.

In case you wonder, my favorite Disney movies are:
Aladdin (part I), Sleeping Beauty (watched it again 3 days ago :P), The Lion King, Cinderella, Aristocats, The Little Mermaid (part I), Brother Bear...

...might as well name all the movies.

Umar said...

Did anyone get a chance to see the Lion King on stage?


I did... and it was amazing.
too bad they took it off b/c of low audience turnout when SARS hit.

Pink said...

aaahh, don't diss disney!! its amazing, albeit the older classics especially are less than Politically Correct. i never thought abt his name change tho... lol, nice one

Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum :D

Wow, I haven't seen that movie in ages. But I've also noticed the change in the way I view disney movies. Oh the silliness.

Lovely nonetheless! Now I'm in the mood to watch The Little Mermaid.

Umar said...

Have you seen Shark Tale?

The underlying message of that entire movie was acceptance of homosexuality.

Asmaa said...

I've watched it...what? Lenny was gay? That explains a lot.