Friday, March 17, 2006

Mercy

I was in the mosque today and we were praying isha, shoulder to shoulder, foot to foot. There was a little girl - about a year old or so - crying, far away from her mother. She had one of those cries that is really heartwrenching, that really makes you want to pick up the child yourself. Then something happened which got me thinking. I saw the mother put her hand out while she was praying - a very simple gesture - calling her child to come. So, the child, without thinking, went to her. Her mom picked her up and she immediately stopped crying. It was...Subhan'Allah. It got me thinking about mercy; a parent's mercy towards his or her child, a child's comfort in the arms of her mother - when nothing and no one else could provide that comfort. Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) has made all of this possible through His utlimate Mercy. It got me thinking how I've been such a fool for my entire life. I've blinded myself to so many of Allah's signs and have rarely, if ever, made an effort to improve myself. I've said so many words that I can't take back. I want to change more than anything, but feel as though I haven't the bravery of some, nor the intellect of others to guide me through it all. In recent days I've been seeing myself on the day of judgement, and I imagine all of my sins as mountains, preventing me from entering Jannah. And I can see it with an unprecedented clarity, my hands are black, my face is darkened. I am so afraid.

4 comments:

Umar said...

it's interesting how we all have these kind of experiences, which may be insignificant in the eyes of others, but can change our own lives around.

Squeeky said...

Assalaamu Alaikum

Awww :(
Asmaa, our thoughts are so similar. No one is perfect, many of us have done things that we wish we could take back but all we can do is recite Astaghfir'Allah and make the intention to better ourselves. This thought keeps coming into my mind, "What if I died this very moment, will I be satisfied with myself? Will I be ready to face my Lord?" Goodness garcious no, there are so many things I need to do in order to improve and better myself.

Insha'Allah Allah Swt will hear your longing to be better, may He (swt) make this process easy on you and bless you.

Umar said...

on a totally unrelated note:
check out
http://www.chihuly.com/glass.html

Anonymous said...

Hug from Fro....I'm here for ya dude.