Thursday, March 30, 2006

The gift of shirk

I'm finally considered to be important enough to get junk mail in the mail! This is the real deal, not the "oh-my-goodness-I-can't-believe-I-have-to-press-"empty"-on-my-bulk-mail-folder-AGAIN" junk mail. Except that apparently only Christian missionaries like sending me junk mail. I think I filled out a survey once and then those little supercalafrajalists sold my name and address to these people. But it's entertaining. Here's one thing that I got recently: Exhibit A: little statue of Mary. Exhibit B: They say "Please accept this gift" (i.e. please accept, then give us money so we can convert little starving children in Africa to Christianity). Under it, my dad (who usually picks up the mail) writes "Please don't. This is the worst gift." My little sister: How come the church sends Asmaa gifts and not me? It's not fair.

8 comments:

Stylus Virus said...

Assalamu aleikum,

All Your Mail Are Become Shirkish. :P

Wow, I can't believe they'd send a statuette in the mail. Doesn't that send the wrong message? "Here's a little idol. So please accept Christianity and donate profusely."

'liya said...

Nice flower envelope lol

I like what your dad wrote :)

Elizabeth said...

LOL! That's even better than another AOL CD.

Once when we visited a Buddhist monastery, we went in the gift shop and I realized that every religion must have it's kitschy cheap plastic junk for sale. I know in my Orthodox Christian religion you can certainly get as much of it as you want.

Nauman said...

I like the AOL CD's actually - they make great (but lethal) frisbees. :)

Umar said...

I like how you cleverly but subtly covered up the face on the idol.

Asmaa said...

Olde, and all my fun are become halal :) Rumi - shudder shudder.

Aaliya, my dad is certainly a character :D

Elizabeth, yeah man - I actually have fun getting these things in the mail. Unfortunately, religion has become a series of objects that are marketable. Anything to make a buck.

Nauman, I don't want to know what you played as a child.

Umar, thanks, that was a la Olde Woman.

Pakistani84 said...

It's better than getting them knocking at your door :)

Asmaa said...

Ali, so true :D