Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Certainty

Revaluating the purpose of one's existence is never easy. One moment I'm confident and certain about who I am and what I'm doing and the next, I'm hurtled into this muddle - a great big mess of something that I can't quite control. Everything changes. But I've come to realize, perhaps very late in life, that you can always be certain of Allah (SWT). He is unchanging, unwavering, unalterable - the opposite of everything and everyone in this world. Sometimes I forget that there is someone watching me who knows what I'm thinking, where I'm going, and why. And when I stop to pray, I stand in front of Him, knowing that He, in His great deafening silence, is always there waiting for me, this unworthy self, to return. "And when my servants ask you concerning Me, I am indeed near. I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me. So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright" (Qur'an 2:186).

4 comments:

Umar said...

Dunno how relavent this is to your post...

It's always better to make these kind of important realizations earlier in life, rather than later. Looking back at high school and even the first 2 years of University, there are so many things I could have done differently or been involved in (clubs, extra-curricular activities, etc)

I was in my Islamic Civilization class today, and took out a copy of the Quran I brought along. The first page and verse I unintendingly came to was 5:83...

And when they listen to the revelation received by the Messenger, thou wilt see their eyes overflowing with tears, for they recognise the truth: they pray: "Our Lord! we believe; write us down among the witnesses.

Anonymous said...

"the opposite of everything and everyone in this world."

hold on to that thought until the LOG class

Asmaa said...

Umar, I wish I made this realization earlier, but what can I do now...thanks for that verse :)

Anis, I can't wait for that class. InshaAllah it'll be as amazing as the past three.

Anonymous said...

that was a beautiful reminder, asmaa. reflecting on your existence and what you stand for can be one of the hardest things to do because it requires to you acknowledge things about yourself that you would rather ignore or might gloss over without realizing what your true intentions are behind the exterior thats present.

sorry if that didn't make any sense...i was just thinking out loud :)